Monday, January 26, 2009

Senseless

Normally this is a blog about raising my son, Ford. I am going to go off topic with this post. Back in October, I quit a job that I didn't love but it was still very hard to leave because I worked with some outstanding people. There are a bunch of guys working there that I miss my daily interactions with. Last Friday, one of my absolute favorite guys, Tom Farquhar, was killed on the job moving a machine (a lathe) that he probably had helped move a dozen times. Just a senseless, incredibly stupid thing to happen. That fact that the lathe was moved so effortlessly so frequently before that day was probably the reason that no one was overly concerned with their safety around this 1500 lb+ monster. One little slip and it was over. One second he was standing there doing his job, not a dangerous one in the grand scheme of things, and one second later he was gone. If I know Tommy, he was probably cracking a joke shortly before it happened.

When I still was employed there, many a time was wasted talking with Tom about movies, music, House or, of course, his favorite: Homer (NOT the poet). Now I know it wasn't time wasted, it was time well spent.

Rest in peace Tommy. You are sorely missed.

No comments: