Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Torticollis Continued




As I was saying in my last post, Ford, was about a 3 (Mom, Dad...why are you letting this happen to me?) on the 1-10 crying scale while the therapist was doing the exercises. Mommy was Upset and Slightly Sadistic Daddy was looking forward to the exercises.
Well, that all changed when we got home. As previously mentioned, Ford jumped from a 3 to about a 12.5 "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO DADDDDDDY....DON'T HURT MEEEEEEEE PLEEEEEASE!" (Thank God he can't talk yet)
I have always understood the phrase "This is going to hurt me more than it is going to hurt you.", but now I have felt it. It is one of the worst feelings I have ever had in my life. Holding your child's head as he is screaming spectacularly is a VERY BAD THING. And I realize that I HAVE to do this several times a day...or he won't get better.
Well, that was a while ago now. Briana and I have come up with a few good ways to trick him into tolerating or actually LIKING the exercises. Now, I still have to do them myself a few times a day. He doesn't like the solo parent version as much, but he has dropped down to about a 5 on the scale.
One very fortunate side effect has been that the exercises wear him out so much, he almost always, sleeps through the night now.
That is a VERY GOOD THING.

1 comment:

Briana said...

I can still remember how excited you were when we were at the first session thinking you'd get back at him for waking you up all night long...